Submitted by John T. Orcutt on Mon, 08/29/2022 - 3:09pm
(1) What repossession is? Repossession is when your car or truck lender takes your car or truck because you are either: (1) Behind in your payments or (2) Have failed to keep it insured.
(2) No advance notice of repossession is required: There is often an assumption that the creditor has to tell you when it is going to take your vehicle. NOT TRUE. Unlike with judgments and foreclosures, the creditor will NOT GIVE YOU ANY ADVANCE WARNING that it is coming for your truck or car. You need to know this.
(3) You only have to miss one (1) payment: People tend to think that the creditor won’t come for their car or truck unless they are 2 or 3 or more payments behind. NOT TRUE. The creditor can take your car or truck the minute you miss 1 payment. Many times, the creditor will provide you some slack and wait until you are 2 or 3 payments behind. But that is NOT required. If you do get some slack, it’s because the creditor is hopeful you will catch up. Generally, the creditor wants your payments more than the creditor wants your vehicle. CAUTION: These days, with second hand vehicles selling for more money than before, which means creditors know that they will be fully paid is they repossess your vehicle, they are more likely to just take it than wait.
(4) Filing bankruptcy stops repossession: We do it all the time. One of the main reasons to file bankruptcy is to keep and protect your car or truck. Filing bankruptcy will stop the repossession. The best time to file is before your car or truck is repossessed. And, even if you decide or later decide to give up the car or truck, filing can buy you some extra time to figure things out.
(5) Filing bankruptcy can help you get your car or truck back: If your car or truck was just repossessed, most of the time, bankruptcy can help you get it back. But you can’t wait. There is no time to lose. If you come to us after your vehicle has already been taken, we would have to file you in bankruptcy almost immediately, before the repossession process gets too far along. This assumes that filing bankruptcy is right for you. And, a “rush” bankruptcy will only add to your stress. Besides, in the meantime, you will have to figure out how to live without your already-repossessed transportation. And, since the vehicle has already been repossessed, you will incur “repossession” costs on top of everything else.
(6) The costs of repossession: If your car or truck gets repossessed, there will be extra costs assessed to you. At a minimum this will include the fees the creditor pays to repossess your vehicle. These fees can be substantial and can quickly add up to over $1,000, and can include the following:
(7) What to do if you are behind on your car or truck loan:
· Don’t wait. Act NOW!
· Call a bankruptcy attorney: If you can’t catch up immediately, immediately call a bankruptcy attorney to see if filing bankruptcy is right for you. Maybe bankruptcy is right for you. Maybe not. But, since the initial consultation is always FREE, you have nothing to lose by finding out.
· Be super careful: It would be illegal for us to tell you to “hide” your vehicle, but the truth is that if the creditor can’t find it, the creditor can’t take it.
In North Carolina, we, the Law Offices of John T. Orcutt, would love to be the bankruptcy attorney you call.
If you find yourself struggling financially, being hounded by debt collectors and looking for a permanent debt-relief solution, contact the law offices of John T. Orcutt for a free consultation on getting out of debt for good.
Debts Hurt! Got debt? Need help? Get started below!
Serving All of North Carolina
Bankruptcy Attorneys Raleigh NC (North)
6616 Six Forks Rd #203 Raleigh, NC 27615 North Carolina
Tel: (919) 847-9750
Bankruptcy Attorney Fayetteville NC
2711 Breezewood Ave Fayetteville, NC 28303 North Carolina
Tel: (910) 323-2972
Bankruptcy Attorney Durham NC
1738 Hillandale Rd Suite D Durham, NC 27705 North Carolina
Tel: (919) 286-1695
Bankruptcy Attorneys Wilson NC
2215 Nash St N Wilson, NC 27896 North Carolina
Tel: (252) 234-9194
Bankruptcy Attorneys Greensboro NC
2100 W Cornwallis Dr. STE O Greensboro, NC 27408 North Carolina
Tel: (336) 542-5993
Bankruptcy Attorneys Garner NC (South Raleigh)
143 US-70 Garner, NC 27529 North Carolina
Tel: (919) 747-4400
Bankruptcy Attorneys Southport NC
116 N Howe St. Suite A, Southport, NC 28461 North Carolina
Tel: (910) 218-8682
Bankruptcy Attorneys Wilmington NC
116 N. Howe Street, Suite A Southport, NC 28461 North Carolina
Tel: (910) 447-2987